How to locate a club

Moderators: Chris Berry, libertyman777

Forum rules
1. No flaming, badgering, or foul language allowed. Please keep it civil and clean.
2. Threads should stay on topic. New discussions should be started on a separate thread.
3. Please do not post text in all CAPS, as that is considered rude and unnecessary.
4. No commercial sales or buy/trade/want ads of any kind.
5. Moderator decisions are final. If you are in doubt about a post, please contact a Moderator before posting.

How to locate a club

Postby Jayhawker » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:56 pm

I am new to this form but thought this might be a good place to start. I have been interested in Field Target shooting but have not be able to find a club or events in my area here in the mid U.S.A. I live in North Eastern Kansas ( Kansas City area). I have looked on the AAFTA club page but can't find anything even close. Does anyone have any information that maybe of help to me? Thanks for any help you might have. Jayhawker
Jayhawker

Re: How to locate a club

Postby richard » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:15 pm

Unfortunately there are lots of areas where nobody is running any matches. This is true for most shooting sports. The only remedy is for someone to step up and run matches. Sometimes even then there is no interest. I don't know what the answer is. Some places have "standing room only" and other places there are very few participants. We run a lot of different things at our home club and some things we get little activity and others we seem to get lots of shooters. We run field target at our club and get good turnouts but field target is pretty labor intensive compared to other things.

I like to shoot so I tend to shoot different things depending on what is available. I run airgun matches because that is one of the things I like to shoot best. It is easier not to run matches and simply attend them but if nobody is running them then, well you figure it out. There was zero interest at my present club until we decided to run airgun matches so the only suggestion I can make is for you to find a local shooting club and try to run some events.

If you ever move to eastern PA you could shoot with us.

Rick B.
richard
Club Rep

Re: How to locate a club

Postby Sean McDaniel » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:08 pm

I do agree with the previous post.
Starting a club and putting on matches is a hard, thankless job. There's a lot of crap that you have to put up with at times but the rewards are in the smiles and enjoyment from people attending your matches.
There WILL be times you'll wonder what you got yourself into. Take a breath, ask for help, and get over that low point.
GET HELP. Especially if you are new to field target. There is nothing more frustrating than going to a match where they think they know what they are doing but really don't. Spend time at every match watching what the match director's do. Ask questions and soak up as much as you can.
Personally it takes me 2-3 hours to set up a single match. Maybe 8 to set up a grand-prix event. AAFTA has spreadsheets to help you setup. And there are always people online willing to help if you ask.
If you decide to take on this adventure here are some things to keep in mind...
Gun clubs already have insurance
Archery clubs with 3-D archery are almost perfect to shoot field target but may need additional insurance.
Whatever club you approach know that you WILL be the lowest person on the priority list. Any disruption to their GUN activities is highly frowned upon. After you have a year under your belt then you will have proven yourself (hopefully) and will have a bit more clout to ask for things from the club.
The club I approached had heard about air guns and was interested in starting but had no idea what to do. There was a lot of teaching I had to do.
The first time I approached them they told me it would be $250 per day to use their facility.
The second time I approached them I reworded things and said I'd be happy to put this on for you. You keep the money that I bring in by way of matches and grand-prix events. Then they were more than willing to provide me the room I needed in an unused field.
I will never be at the point where I bring in money like the sporting clays do, but I have a place to shoot and things are good.
After the first year I approached them about setting up a woods course. They pointed us to the area that might work and we set up 5 example lanes. Based on that they then gave the go-ahead to setup the full 15 lanes in the woods in addition to the fields course.
--Sean
Sean McDaniel
Club Rep

Return to General Discussion