WooHooo... a new FT pistol!

Moderators: Chris Berry, libertyman777

Forum rules
1. No flaming, badgering, or foul language allowed. Please keep it civil and clean.
2. Threads should stay on topic. New discussions should be started on a separate thread.
3. Please do not post text in all CAPS, as that is considered rude and unnecessary.
4. No commercial sales or buy/trade/want ads of any kind.
5. Moderator decisions are final. If you are in doubt about a post, please contact a Moderator before posting.

WooHooo... a new FT pistol!

Postby pistolero » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:33 pm

Being absolutely SMITTEN with repurposing ten-meter pistols to ulterior applications and having read about the Tau MK 08 some time ago, I recently finagled a trade for one in like-new condition. Of course before it arrived I milked the Google button on the interweb machine for all the information on the MK 08 I could suck out of it. A forum post buried deep in the bowels of cyberspace shed some very interesting insight.

According to the post, the side-lever-loadingTau PCP has not only a hammer-spring (power) adjuster hiding under the grip, but a regulator adjustment in the front of the trigger-gaurd. Furthermore, though the Tau website is in whatever hieroglyfics are employed in Czechoslovakia, a foot-note in the specs for the MK 08 stated "16J". I took that to mean 16 Joules, which I also took to refer to muzzle energy. Further employing the Google button with the entry "Joules to foot-pounds conversion", Google said that means 11.8 foot-pounds! :o

One huge atraction (for me) to the Tau was the side-lever loading, which should allow much lower mounting of a scope than my AZ-modified Steyr FT pistol. My only complaint about the AZ wunderpistol is the neccessity of mounting a scope waaay up in the stratosphere; even though Alan's barrel-clamping scope mount permits as low scope mounting as the shortened-as-much-as-possible loading lever allows.

Though no stranger to nice air pistols, on receipt of the Tau MK 08 I was floored by the beauty of the thing. :shock: Chronographing revealed the expected four foot-pounds, and maxing-out the hammer-spring adjustment brought that up to five FP.

Indeed there was what appeared could be a regulator adjustment, right where the obscure forum post had said. Unfortunately it requires a specific size pin-spanner, and none of mine fit. Nevertheless I managed to coerce the adjustment in about a quarter-revolution at a time, each adjustment revealing gains over the chronograph. Much angst and aggravation later I'd managed to rotate the adjustment almost a full revolution before reaching the limits of my rudimentary "pin spanner". At that point muzzle energy was over 7 FP.

After fashioning barrel-clamping mounts to get the 4-12X Bushnell Trophy scope VERY LOW (as I like it), unfortunately neither 7.9 or 8.4 grain JSB's grouped well. With nothing to lose (before cleaning the barrel), I then tried 10.3 JSB's. BINGO... half-inch groups at 40 yards!!! :o

Furthermore, and as would be expected with a(ny) PCP, heavies return more muzzle energy. To be exact, 8.5 foot-pounds at 611 FPS. Though not yet the 10 FP (or more) I'm looking for, a better pin-spanner may yet get us there. Regardless, so far...

I'M A-LIKIN' WHAT THIS-HERE TAU'S A-DOIN'!
pistolero

Re: WooHooo... a new FT pistol!

Postby Tx200AAFTAnewbie » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:44 pm

are you shooting your recently acquired pcp pistol at traditional ft ranges and targets? what hold is used? shooting sticks/seat allowed (ala hunter category)? adjustable objective lens?
Tx200AAFTAnewbie

Return to Equipment Talk (scopes & gadgets)