Examples of "what not to do" on Forced-Position shots...

Moderators: Chris Berry, libertyman777

Examples of "what not to do" on Forced-Position shots...

Postby Leo Duran » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:15 pm

For reference, here are the Forced Shooting Positions Rules:
http://aafta.org/html/handbook/handbook_position_rules.pdf

These pictures were taken at recent matches.

Illegal Offhand:

Illegal Kneeling:

As shown here, sometimes it can be subtle to detect:
Leo Duran
Leo Duran
BoG

Re: Examples of "what not to do" on Forced-Position shots...

Postby Scotchmo » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:27 pm

Legal orr illegal? What about this method?:
Scotchmo
Club Rep

Postby Sean McDaniel » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:24 pm

Scotchmo wrote:Legal orr illegal? What about this method?:

Other than using a sling the gun is to be supported solely by the hands, shoulder, and cheek. This is illegal imho. Gun is supported by the elbow/arm.
Sean McDaniel
Club Rep

Postby Scotchmo » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:46 pm

Seems that most of the offenses are from the use of WFTF/Open Division aids that should not be used while in a designated position lane.

In other shooting sports with designated shooting positions, most of those aids are not even allowed on the gun. And some of the clothing like
the jackets and gloves, are not allowed either (in standing silhouette matches for instance).

What is the purpose/reason for the designated shots in Field Target? That's the question nobody seems able to answer.
Scotchmo
Club Rep

Postby Scotchmo » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:03 am

Scotchmo wrote:Seems that most of the offenses are from the use of WFTF/Open Division aids that should not be used while in a designated position lane.

In other shooting sports with designated shooting positions, most of those aids are not even allowed on the gun. And some of the clothing like
the jackets and gloves, are not allowed either (in standing silhouette matches for instance).

What is the purpose/reason for the designated shots in Field Target? That's the question nobody seems able to answer.

Never mind. I figured it out for myself.
Scotchmo
Club Rep

Postby dan_house » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:28 pm

I know Scott knows the answer to this.... but...

Its to increase difficulty level..... And since the game started as a simulation of hunting, and anyone thats hunted knows some time s the only shot you get is off hand.....

Me? Id pass on the shot if I couldnt get some support ... unless the critter was only 10 yards away ;)

So the takeaway from this is collapse all the aids before taking the shot........
USFT #200
The Lunatic Fringe of American Airgunning
Proud Sponsor of Team_Subsonic
Member of the Western Heretic League
dan_house

Postby pistolero » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:54 pm

Per the discussion on PISTOL offhand offenses that is moving from the club e-mail list to here, I have a suggestion that may make a lot of FT shooters extremely happy.

Considering forced-position shots are almost universally dreaded/abhorred in rifle and pistol FT, yet a few pistol competitors are apparently interested in promoting the Hands Only class that might have gone extinct due to lack of participation, perhaps we should consider resurrecting the Hands Only class but remove ALL forced-position shots from the other classes! :shock:

Yes, I do realize this might sound pretty extreme (or crazy); but would you expect any less from me? Pardon my blatant realism, but I'd bet the farm this idea would receive WIDE, ENTHUSIASTIC, and perhaps near-universal support!

Let's face it; almost everything about field target competition and equipment is allergic to offhand, as certainly are the shooters, so why not let the offhand guys have their class while purging forced positions from the other classes? I'm pretty certain most FT competitors would celebrate the loss of offhand AND kneeling positions.
pistolero

Postby Scotchmo » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:22 pm

pistolero,

I suggested something similar in an email to the BOG chairman, who posted it here:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=272

"Why not have a pistol class that is free position only. And the other class is standing only. Like pistol silhouette. And for the standing class, have the same "hands only" rules that silhouette uses. Then enforcement might be possible. As it is, enforcement is not really possible, so I don't expect it."

As it is - confusing rules, lax enforcement, post match judgements. All detract from the enjoyment of the game. Better off without them. How bad do we need to have that single offhand lane in a pistol match?
Scotchmo
Club Rep

Postby John in Ma » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:47 am

Scotchmo wrote:pistolero,

I suggested something similar in an email to the BOG chairman, who posted it here:

http://aafta.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=272

"Why not have a pistol class that is free position only. And the other class is standing only. Like pistol silhouette. And for the standing class, have the same "hands only" rules that silhouette uses. Then enforcement might be possible. As it is, enforcement is not really possible, so I don't expect it."

As it is - confusing rules, lax enforcement, post match judgements. All detract from the enjoyment of the game. Better off without them. How bad do we need to have that single offhand lane in a pistol match?

The whole hubub on n54 took a direction not considered. Leo Gonzales, Matt Sawyer and I shoot off hand(hands only) pistol as a challenge to ourselves. We are not looking to restart the hands only class. You guys who shoot hunter and limited pistol don't have to worry about adding/resurrecting a class that no one else wants to shoot. Having said that I shoot pistol hands only because I already shoot with support for the rifle match. Why would I want to shoot another type of gun the same way?(I don't). This is why I don't understand why other shooters want to make shooting pistols(loosely considered a pistol) in the same fashion as the rifle match? I can't see why as it takes less equipment to shoot hands only and the match moves so much faster. Half the time as a regular Pifle match anyways.

I will state again we shoot hands only as a challenge to ourselves, do not ask for any considerations, and hold no grudges against the rest of the pifle field target shooters.
Air Arms S500 Extra Fac .177
Mrod S400 .177
Remington Vantage .177
John in Ma
Club Rep

Postby Scotchmo » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:40 pm

John in Ma wrote:...
I will state again we shoot hands only as a challenge to ourselves, do not ask for any considerations, and hold no grudges against the rest of the pifle field target shooters.

I understand and that's fine.

I was mainly addressing the fact that it seems that very few want to have a standing lane in the pistol matches. And many don't perform it correctly, or even agree on how it should be done. So why have that single standing lane in the pistol match? It's not worth the controversy, in my opinion.
Scotchmo
Club Rep

Return to About AAFTA Rules