3D printed bits

Moderators: Chris Berry, libertyman777

Forum rules
1. No flaming, badgering, or foul language allowed. Please keep it civil and clean.
2. Threads should stay on topic. New discussions should be started on a separate thread.
3. Please do not post text in all CAPS, as that is considered rude and unnecessary.
4. No commercial sales or buy/trade/want ads of any kind.
5. Moderator decisions are final. If you are in doubt about a post, please contact a Moderator before posting.

3D printed bits

Postby pad617 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:28 am

I have a Leupold Comp 35X that doesn't quite focus down to 10 yards. I usually shoot the occasional 10 yard or slightly less than 10 yard target fuzzy. After missing a shot at the PA Cup this fall I decided to get the close focus adapter for the Leupold. I have a Leapers scope cover(I think) and I was going to cut it up and glue the adapter in place but had another thought at the last minute. I decided to consult with my friend Bill Rabbitt to see if he could design and print a replacement cap that would reuse the Leapers rubber sleeve but would allow the adapter to screw in and out in case I wanted to use it on anther scope with a yet to be made second 3D printed cap. Also the cap would have a hold open mechanism that would keep the cap from flopping around when not in use due to the added weight of the adapter.

Bill designed the cap and tried to match the mysterious scope threads and added a magnet and pin to keep the cap open. It works really well and is a clean look I think. If I ever have a second scope with a cover that needs the adapter, the plan is to have a second threaded cap made that accepts the adapter. This keeps me from having to buy another adapter.

Here are some pics of Bill's model and the final product on my Comp 35X.

pad617
Club Rep

Re: 3D printed bits

Postby Leo Duran » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:34 pm

Hey Jeff,

Nice 3D job!

I wonder if Bill would be interested in making some of these (wheel & pointer) for the Elite scopes?
(Last year we had a thread on the "Yellow" about a wheel & pointer for the Elite's, and quite a few of us expressed interest in buying)
Thanks.

Leo Duran
Leo Duran
BoG

Re: 3D printed bits

Postby Skip in WV » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:34 am

Clever fella. Nice work.
Skip in WV

Return to Equipment Talk (scopes & gadgets)