New Sightron FT Scope - First Impressions

Moderators: Chris Berry, libertyman777

Forum rules
1. No flaming, badgering, or foul language allowed. Please keep it civil and clean.
2. Threads should stay on topic. New discussions should be started on a separate thread.
3. Please do not post text in all CAPS, as that is considered rude and unnecessary.
4. No commercial sales or buy/trade/want ads of any kind.
5. Moderator decisions are final. If you are in doubt about a post, please contact a Moderator before posting.

New Sightron FT Scope - First Impressions

Postby sgrayner » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:03 pm

There was a box from UPS today waiting in the snow on my porch.

The box was bigger than most other scopes I have because there's extra stuff in there...

Yes, it's one of the new Sightron 10-50x60 FT scopes! Included is a sidewheel and eyecup. The black anodized aluminum sidewheel attaches with three 2mm grub screws. There's no alignment spline so I'll have to add an index mark so it goes back to the same spot if removed. Mounting the sidewheel showed the normal housekeeping problems with clearances...I have to move the front rings if the sidewheel is pushed in flush with the parallax knob.

There's some stuff not in the box that folks are going to need. The sunshade is an extra $50. There's no pointer for the sidewheel (I"ll just make my own and attach at the rear rings). No lens caps although the neoprene cover is better than nothing (hello Butler Creek).

The eyecup might take some getting used to. It's kinda floppy and sags a bit. My Bisley stays stiff! I'll give it a try for awhile.

Looking through the lens I was impressed. I have a couple buddies with other model big Sightrons and they all have been sharp and bright. This scope is no slouch. I have Schmidt&Bender and March scopes that are much more expensive and this Sightron is very comparable.

I ran the parallax focus to min and it was focusing at just over 7 yards. There's too much snow to run a tape out to the neighbor's, but this one might have a max focus of only 70 yards or so. I'll check it again tomorrow somewhere I can run out the tape. The potentially best news is that the focus gearing may be changed so that there is like 270 degrees between the 7 and 70 yard focus points. Checking this soon will be a priority as the ranging potential of this scope may be significant.

Some of the advertising for the scope specified the tactical elevation and windage knobs (with the torx screw in the center) and that has changed...no center screw. I'll get a photo out later of the knobs.

Overall I was impressed with this scope. it's a lot of scope for the money. If the parallax focus is working like I think it is, my ranging ability is going to improve radically.

Steve

Added elevation and windage knob photos:

Steve
sgrayner

Ranging Results

Postby sgrayner » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:50 pm

A half-assed range calibration without a proper pointer in 20 degree weather pretty much broke my unfounded enthusiasm for this scope's ranging potential. There was no focus gearing change and this scope focus ranges pretty much like my other mid to high-end scopes. The max focus range at 20F is just about exactly 80 yards. The minimum (measured a little more accurately than yesterday) is exactly 8 yards. 70 degrees of focus wheel turn takes it from 8 to 10 yards...wasted space. As you can see from my semi-legible markings, the critical 45 yards to 55 yards area is pretty small...like most other scopes.

\Image

The scope is still a very good deal with the sidewheel and eyecup included. It's less expensive than other Sightron 10-50x60 models with illuminated reticles and you don't have to send it to Sightron to adjust the parallax (unless you need more than 80 yards focus). I got mine from Liberty Optics in Montana and I'm sure they'll be showing up all over the usual websites. As I mentioned yesterday, the optics are very comparable to the highest quality scopes. This will be a common scope in FT for a long time to come.

Steve
sgrayner

Re: New Sightron FT Scope - First Impressions

Postby JimW » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:12 am

Nice to see the new offereing from Sightron. I got the 1/4" click MOA-2 version without the lit reticle, it arrived in a box with a single layer of bubble wrap, needless to say I expected more cushion for a $1300 scope...

Looks like they have bumped up the packaging, this is a good thing.

Not sure why they went with the target turrets, total pain in the butt to reset to zero in the field, the single torx version is WAY better (my Gen 1 Nikko has the target turret), at least I think so.

Wondering why they would go through all the trouble of making a wheel and then make it a few inches too small. :? This scope needs a minimum 3" radius wheel. Based on what I can see there is no gain in the 'gearing' that is supposedly there to make the gaps between the upper end farther apart. If anything it looks to reduce the gaps between the shorter yardages.

On my Nikko I found that if I set it to focus down to 9 yards the distance between my 50 and 55 yard marks got smaller. At 9'-11" it practically doubled the gaps between the 50 and 55 yard marks (compared to when it was set at 9 yards). So if this scope focuses well below 9 yards I would think at that setting it's killing the gaps at the far yardages (assuming the mechanics of lenses is the same). I would guess they set it up like this for the UK guys shooting at 9 meters, but it's not helping the gaps on such a small wheel.

That said a circular wheel is so not practical for field target given that the best wheel diameter is far too big for putting the rifle in a case. I use a shaped wheel (like a comma) or an offset circle (a 4" diameter offset wheel can give an effective wheel diameter of almost 8").

BTW, whatever you do, do not take off the small focus wheel, you will be looking directly into the elevation turret mechanism. :oops:

Does Nitrogen smell? :mrgreen:
N.A.G. (Nevada Air Gunners) Founding Member
Proudly Hosting the Inaugural 2015 Nevada State FT Championships
JimW

Postby JimW » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:20 am

Oh, the Leapers (the 6-24x and 8-32x) sunshade works great on my 10-50x Sightron... ;)

Please send the money you saved to... :lol:
JimW

Postby libertyman777 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:18 am

Good to see companies catering to the FT community.
Paul Oswalt
M.D. Mt. Cheaha Air Gun Club
Heflin, AL
libertyman777
Club Rep

Postby JimW » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:33 pm

Looks like I will be making and selling printed side wheels for Sightron scopes (already doing the Nikko).

Should yield about 0.6" between the 50 and 55 yard marks. :o

It will be a modified comma style and give a 5.6" radius at the 55 yard mark. :twisted:
JimW

Return to Equipment Talk (scopes & gadgets)