PFT scope rules

Moderators: Chris Berry, libertyman777

PFT scope rules

Postby dan_house » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:26 pm

Thinking about building up a pistol for PFT.... grabbed the rule book and started reading.

Rule # 9 says variable scopes higher than 12x not allowed, but rifle HFT says to turn them down to 12x or nearest lower marked power.

IIRC one of the arguments the HFT guys had about a 12x max scope was swapping scopes between guns......

errr now I have to see if I have anything at 12x with mildots..... or get one ;)

I must have missed that part of the discussion... is there a reason that the PFT rule about this is different than the rifle HFT rule? Curious more than anything.....

thanx
dan
USFT #200
The Lunatic Fringe of American Airgunning
Proud Sponsor of Team_Subsonic
Member of the Western Heretic League
dan_house

Re: PFT scope rules

Postby JimW » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:52 am

It's been like this for as long as I have been in the game (not very long, three years and a half years).

I found it odd as well, that in one class of 12x limited it's different from the other 12x limited class. I believe the BOG & AAFTA clubs voted on this last year at the Nationals (12x limit but variable power in Hunter) and the vote was keep it the way it has been.

I think (speculating here, probably totally wrong) that pistol rules developed after the Hunter division rules so they decided to restrict the 12x limit further in pistol, and leave Hunter the way it was due to possibly the folks with variable scopes already competing.

I think if Hunter is allowed to have variable set at 12x then so should pistol, keeps it simple and allows a shooter to use the same scope for more than one class. If one would cheat (pistol, assuming the 12x limit was to prevent that), why wouldn't AAFTA be worried about the other? So it can't be about cheating and it can't be about keeping costs down, in that case one or the other would be the rule for both classes.

The more I think about the more schizophrenic it becomes. :?
N.A.G. (Nevada Air Gunners) Founding Member
Proudly Hosting the Inaugural 2015 Nevada State FT Championships
JimW

Postby Bob Dye » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:27 am

The PISTOL rules were codified by a select committee years ago. They settled on a 12X MAXIMUM for any scope, in part because of all the mickey mouse debates regarding variables set a 12X in RIFLE dating back even further. There is nothing peculiar about it. Their decision. There have been ZERO problems with this.

The recent debates on setting 12X as the max for Hunter RIFLE was (in part) predicated on the positive, unambiguous experience with the Pistol rule, not the other way around.

BTW, I have never swapped scopes between a rifle and pistol on match day, and would never even consider it at any other time. Hunter Class Scopes are cheap. Silly argument on it's face, really.

But that is just me.
Bob Dye
Club Rep

Postby dan_house » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:30 pm

"It's been like this for as long as I have been in the game (not very long, three years and a half years)."

hehe yea, about how long Ive not being paying attention to PFT....

"never swapped scopes between a rifle and pistol on match day" ..... I'm with you there.... that wont work :geek: And not what I meant (but it did kinda come across that way... I need an editor...). Lots of us move scopes around from gun to gun chasing the right combo of gear....

Not complaining, just wondering about the apparent inconsistency, given the amount of , uh.... discussion the rules have been subjected to lately.

Thanx guys, makes more sense now!

off to find a 12x scope with mil dots... :arrow:
USFT #200
The Lunatic Fringe of American Airgunning
Proud Sponsor of Team_Subsonic
Member of the Western Heretic League
dan_house

Postby JimW » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:06 pm

There is nothing wrong with swapping scopes on race day, you just have to have the proper equipment to do so. I can swap scopes all day without any negative effects. Of course if you have a cheap POS dovetail mount you are SOL.

I looked back in the rule changes and found I was right! Pistol FT rules were added just as I entered the sport and the 12x limit was established as they were introduced.

The thing that still gets me is if the "idea" was to eliminate any chance of cheating, then why is it still legal to shoot with a variable set to 12x in Hunter? Weird that one set of rule makers made it a 12x limit while another (it would appear to be 'another') set of rule makers decided not to keep the idea of eliminating cheating (for Hunter). Guess this is what happens when there are groups of people voting on rules. You get one rule that appears to be established by 'eliminating cheating' while another class doesn't have the same rule or thought process applied to it even though the equipment restrictions are the same...

Hunter scopes may be "cheap" but for Hunter rifle competition I can use my open scope. But for pistol I have to buy another scope. "Cheap" is putting a scope I already own on a pistol. More expensive than 'cheap' is having to buy another scope even if it is inexpensive. Why I can't use the same scope I would use for hunter or open for pistol is beyond me. And if the 12x limit was established to stop the possibility of cheating why is it allowed in the largest class in field target?

Check out how much verbiage is dedicated to hosting an event and compare that with the verbiage for the open division. And why would adding a few more rules to clarify things be a bad thing? :P

Look for me out there, i'll be the guy at the shooter's box with the 100% legal laser range finder sitting unused in my gun caddy. :mrgreen:
JimW

Postby Bob Dye » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:43 pm

JimW wrote:The thing that still gets me is if the "idea" was to eliminate any chance of cheating, then why is it still legal to shoot with a variable set to 12x in Hunter? Weird that one set of rule makers made it a 12x limit while another (it would appear to be 'another') set of rule makers decided not to keep the idea of eliminating cheating (for Hunter).

People emphasize the anti-cheating point a lot concerning this Hunter Rifle rule, but I feel this is not the true reason for it. Instead, I feel the reason why hunter rifle shooters are permitted to use variables above 12X as long as it is set to 12X... is to permit competitors to use a scope they already own... in the spirit of making the Hunter Rifle game more accessible without the need to buy a new scope. Just that simple.

I've not seen anyone actually accused (or found) cheating the magnification requirement. While I have instead heard dozens say they welcome the flexibility of using any scope they want as long as it is turned down to 12X
Bob Dye
Club Rep

Postby JimW » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:49 pm

But then wouldn't it be more consistent if 12x variable was allowed in pistol? It would also get more people to participate with scopes they already own.

Either way I think the limitation is fine 12x fixed or variable. Wanting to shoot pistol without having to buy anything more, looks like i'll have to bite the pellet and dish out for a new scope.
JimW

Return to About AAFTA Rules