Can I rest my gun between forced offhand shots?

Moderators: Chris Berry, libertyman777

Can I rest my gun between forced offhand shots?

Postby WoodbineEric » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:18 pm

I watched a Youbube video of a 10 Meter Offhand Air Gun match. Between shots, the competitors would rest their guns on a 10 meter stand for reloading and resting. I was thinking that would be great to use for forced Offhand lanes in Field Target competitions. I shoot HFT but it seems like it would be good for everyone. I thought about what I had that I could use as a Ten Meter stand and decided to try my $50 camera tripod and it worked good enough for me. Since no one has used a 10 meter stand or facsimile I sort of figured a stand is illegal but I thought I would ask anyway.

Consider the following.
The stand will not be used for Shooting.
The stand will not be used for Ranging.
The stand will be used to rest the gun on between shots. Shoot, rest, shoot, rest...
The stand might be used by others to load their gun, as in 10 meeter shooting.

Is using a camera tripod as a rest (stand) legal in HFT, and other classes? The rest will NOT be used for SHOOTING OR RANGING.
Is there anything (object) that I can use as a rest if a camera tripod is not legal?
Can I use a gun caddy? Can I use an unattached bipod? Can I use a 10 meter stand? Can I use a pole pushed in the ground with a horizontal cross brace? Can I use my chair?

I don't know if the things I can use as a gun rest are limited to the things that can be used as a ranging or shooting rest. It seems since the rest would not be used for ranging or shooting, those rules should not apply. Maybe just my hopeful thinking.

Thanks,
Eric
WoodbineEric

Re: Can I rest my gun between forced offhand shots?

Postby Bob Dye » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:48 pm

Eric, the answer is NO.

In those cases where the hosting club provides an off-hand shooting stand FOR EVERYONE TO USE -- in whatever form it takes (a wooden stand, camera tripod, 10m rest, really tall log, a person on knees balancing a tray on his head) -- you may rest your rifle on that between shots.

Absent this...

You may NOT bring to the lane any equipment not allowed in your division -- as a shooting, ranging, or resting aid -- particularly and simply because it is not provided by the range, for everyone else to use.

I'm not sure how many ways this has to be said before comprehension results.
Bob Dye
Club Rep

Postby WoodbineEric » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:22 am

Bob, I can see you are as friendly on this forum as you are on the Yellow Forum. Please understand that ANY question I ever ask on a forum is not looking for your opinion or insult. I will wait for the BOG representative to scold me if thinks I deserve it.
WoodbineEric

Postby Bob Dye » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:54 am

Well, excuse me, Eric. Just repeating what the BoG has already spoon fed you... viewtopic.php?f=24&t=74

"Shooters are not allowed to use any extra personal equipment for ranging other than what they are allowed to shoot with," By inclusion, this statement covers both ranging and shooting as bookends (beginning and end) of lane activities. So what makes you think there might be an exception for an interim activity, like "resting" between shots?

At our range, I provide a custom-built, 4-foot tall shooting stand for all shooters to use in the off-hand lane. You would be welcome to rest your rifle on it between shots. You can use it for ranging, too. But then again, it's "range equipment," not your personal equipment, which should be clearly understood by now as prohibited.

BTW, at the recent Cajun's Grand Prix, there was in fact a 10m stand provided by the hosting club in the off-hand lane both days. Such an aid can take several different forms, but ONLY when provided by the host...
Bob Dye
Club Rep

Postby WoodbineEric » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:27 pm

I don't know how I get baited into replying to your comments.

You stated:
"Shooters are not allowed to use any extra personal equipment for ranging other than what they are allowed to shoot with," By inclusion, this statement covers both ranging and shooting as bookends (beginning and end) of lane activities. So what makes you think there might be an exception for an interim activity, like "resting" between shots?"

That is my question to BOG. Since Resting is not a Ranging or Shooting activity, is it covered by the Ranging and Shooting rules. The MD has discretion in AAFTA matches to provide a 10 meeter stand as a rest so using a rest is legal. You point out the difference is in who provides the rest, the club or the shooter. Maybe true maybe not but your not the one to answer that question.

Bob, please stop interrupting my questions to the BOG. I don't care what you think, I am looking for more definitive answers than your opinions. I thought this was a place to ask questions to the BOG not an extension of the Yellow Forum where your opinions might be welcomed. You are just adding static and discontent to this forum. Please stop.
WoodbineEric

Postby Leo Duran » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:13 pm

WoodbineEric,

Regarding equipment that you may bring to the line, and not intended to be used while ranging or shooting: My suggestion is that you check with your MD.
    - Factors to be considered are: potential safety issues, and match-time (If every shooter is allowed to bring 'extra' stuff to the line, the match will take longer.).
    - Typically shooters bring non-intrusive equipment like a gun-caddy, or gun-case
    - Support/rest fixtures are typically provided by the hosting club, and made available to all shooters (there's an element of fairness in that).
Please take a look at the "Match Director" section of the Handbook:
In any matters arising and not covered by these rules, the Match Director's decision will be final.
Leo Duran
Leo Duran
BoG

Postby WoodbineEric » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:10 pm

Thanks Leo!
WoodbineEric

Postby pad617 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:00 pm

Nice to see that my question wasn't that far out in left field.
Jeff P
pad617
Club Rep

Postby WoodbineEric » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:15 pm

Hi Leo,

Can you attach a copy of the Handbook as a sticky on this forum?

Thanks,
Eric
WoodbineEric

Postby Leo Duran » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:08 pm

WoodbineEric wrote:Hi Leo,

Can you attach a copy of the Handbook as a sticky on this forum?

Thanks,
Eric

Ummh... It's actually real easy to get to the Handbook from here:
1) if you look at the top-left or bottom-left corner of the browser page you'll see a small "home" icon/button with the words "AAFTA" next to it.
2) Clicking on the "AAFTA" icon/button will take you to the AAFTA website... And from there you can simply click on the "Handbook" menu tab.
3) Then, to navigate back over here you simply click on the "back" arrow on your web browser.

Give it a try!
Leo Duran
Leo Duran
BoG

Next

Return to About AAFTA Rules