muzzle energy

Moderators: Chris Berry, libertyman777

Forum rules
1. No flaming, badgering, or foul language allowed. Please keep it civil and clean.
2. Threads should stay on topic. New discussions should be started on a separate thread.
3. Please do not post text in all CAPS, as that is considered rude and unnecessary.
4. No commercial sales or buy/trade/want ads of any kind.
5. Moderator decisions are final. If you are in doubt about a post, please contact a Moderator before posting.

muzzle energy

Postby RoyRogers » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:24 am

Can the muxxle energy be controlled by velocity and pellet weight or does the weapom has to be set to control that. I am a first time participtant and need help in gun selecting I like .22 cal and would hope one of the rifles will qualify. I own and shoot Benjamin Discos in .17 and .22 hpa, Benjamin Marauder in .22 an Air Force Talon in .22 a chinese xc60 in .22 am I in the ball park or do I need diferent weapons please help....
Roy Lee Trump
32 Mountain View Dr
Verona, VA 24482
RoyRogers
Club Rep

Re: muzzle energy

Postby Scotchmo » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:58 am

Pellet weight and velocity will determine mu??le energy.

The .177 Disco usually shoots in the 18fpe range from the factory.

The .22 Disco is usually a little over 20fpe.

The .22 Marauder can be easily adjusted down from the factory setting if you want to get it under 20fpe.

I'd go with the .177 Disco to start out.
Scotchmo
Club Rep

Postby RoyRogers » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:33 pm

Sorry about the spelling of muzzle. Thanks for the advice. Is the Airforce not in the running. It seems to be a better shooting rifle to me? At any rate thanks.
Roy Lee Trump
32 Mountain View Dr
Verona, VA 24482
RoyRogers
Club Rep

Postby Scotchmo » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:15 am

RoyRogers wrote:Sorry about the spelling of muzzle. Thanks for the advice. Is the Airforce not in the running. It seems to be a better shooting rifle to me? At any rate thanks.

I own Marauders and Discos. I don't know much about the Airforce.

There is a competitor that has been shooting a .22 Talon at a few of our matches.
Scotchmo
Club Rep

Postby RoyRogers » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:13 am

I just thought with the ability to adjust the power level one could work out a way of keeping the pellet weight at a nomal weight and stay within power requirements. I purchased the Talon just for that purpose. I do have a Chrony so I can measure the velocity accurately. At field trials are there any qualifying rounds to test the fpe or is it worked out by mathmatics. Having never been before we don't know what to bring. Thanks for all the help
Roy Lee Trump
32 Mountain View Dr
Verona, VA 24482
RoyRogers
Club Rep

Postby Scotchmo » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:47 pm

RoyRogers wrote:I just thought with the ability to adjust the power level one could work out a way of keeping the pellet weight at a nomal weight and stay within power requirements. I purchased the Talon just for that purpose. I do have a Chrony so I can measure the velocity accurately. At field trials are there any qualifying rounds to test the fpe or is it worked out by mathmatics. Having never been before we don't know what to bring. Thanks for all the help

There is no qualifying. And usually, the match director will take your word for it as to the fpe of your gun. If there is any testing at a match, they have you shoot the specific weight pellet over a chronograph.

If you have a chronograph and the Talon is adjustable, then you can easily test it yourself. So either the .177 disco is good, or adjust the Marauder or Talon. Here is a chart for the velocities you should stay under, based on the pellet weight:

Scotchmo
Club Rep

Postby RoyRogers » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:01 am

Thank you very much for the help. I am excited to possibly get to compete. I have not shot in competition since my High School days 1966-70. The info you have given me helps greatly. Hopefully I will get to meet you in future at a match.
Roy Lee Trump
32 Mountain View Dr
Verona, VA 24482
RoyRogers
Club Rep

Postby korak » Sat May 16, 2015 10:56 am

You can download an app named "Chairgun Pro". I will figure it f9r you and plot out a trajectory line.
korak

Return to General Discussion