Shooting tips and equipment for beginners

Moderators: Chris Berry, libertyman777

Forum rules
1. No flaming, badgering, or foul language allowed. Please keep it civil and clean.
2. Threads should stay on topic. New discussions should be started on a separate thread.
3. Please do not post text in all CAPS, as that is considered rude and unnecessary.
4. No commercial sales or buy/trade/want ads of any kind.
5. Moderator decisions are final. If you are in doubt about a post, please contact a Moderator before posting.

Shooting tips and equipment for beginners

Postby rws45user » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:03 pm

Hi All, I have looked around and could not find a post for things that would help beginners like my self in field target shooting , so I'm starting this post . If anyone want to add something that might help out a beginner in any way please share it . I would like to see some gun choices along with scope choices and how to set them up . My first post is going to be about Parallax . Watch this video about parallax . I thought it was a good video and might be something a beginner would want to know. https://youtu.be/c-ied67wwHY
Last edited by rws45user on Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
rws45user

Re: Shooting tips and equipment for beginners

Postby rws45user » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:24 pm

Setting ,Kneeling and standing tips . https://youtu.be/yiPzJrANAQA
rws45user

Postby rws45user » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:02 pm

What is the best scope for the hunter class ? Again as being new to the sport I'm trying to find out all about this sport and I thought I would ask the questions other new shooters might ask as well . I have found out that if your interested in AAFTA hunter class your going to need a scope that has indicating markes on the scopes reticle ( maybe the more the better ) not sure yet . Marks like mil dots or tiny cross sections placed all over the reticle . The reason you have to have markings on the reticle and not just a single cross hair , is that your not allowed to move the scopes turrets once the match starts . So you have to know where the pellet is going to hit at different distances 10 to 55 yards . so you have to practice and make a chart to help you remember where at on the reticle your pellet is at that different . I think most shooters mark every yard not feet here is a good photo of a I think hunter class reminder chart . http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/blog/wp ... ft-010.jpg. For hunter class this looks like a good scope to get the label said centerpoint 4-16 I think its might be good because if your gun is putting out 800 ish fps that's around 12fpe so on weaker guns like my old rws 45 I think I'm going to need all the mildots I can get above and below the center line . since your not going to use the turrets tracking is not going to be a issue but I think holding a zero would be for sure . Also in hunter class your limited to 12x power so the big high power scopes like a 10-50x50 is not needed . the turret adjust amount that can range from 150 moa to 15 moa would not matter in this class either , so maybe spending your money on a good quality lens would be the scope to get . the better quality the lens the better your going to see the target. I have found out through the years that fixed scopes like a 10 x power or a fixed 12 power have a lot better sight picture and have better glass in them than the zoom powers scopes . from what I have read in the sniper forums this is true . so if your limited to 12 power don't get a zoom scope that's just going to cut your view now so things are not so clear. So far the clearest and best glass in a scope that has a fixed 10 and 12 power and is also spring rated and built to military specs that is under 400.00 with a side wheel adjustment and 300.00 for a rear parallax adjustment is the SWFA 10 x42 or the 12x42 but i think the 12 x42 only comes in rear parallax adjustment . It also tracks 100 percent of the time and holds zero . So, so far for a hunter class scope the swfa ss would be my pick for the money . Maybe some long time hunter class shooters will add to this and let you know about what they like that might be even cheaper and better . Here is a video from Rex about it https://youtu.be/nky0voYC7gQ. I have been doing mostly long range shooting with a Hatsan 125 sniper 22 cal air gun and not so much with the closer distance like the 10 to 55 yard range go I know more about set ups for distances over 100 yards . But Rex has about 80 videos on sniper 101 . he really goes over a bunch of scopes and their uses and just about every thing you want to know about scopes. I think scope selection starts on video 20 but if you like shooting at all you will be hooked and end up watching all of them . https://youtu.be/-wBr_brpSYk. If anyone has some scope ideas on other class other than hunter class and the scopes used in them would you mind adding a post about them to help out use beginners . I think I should add that when looking for a scope be sure that the parallax focuses down to 10 yards a lot of scopes don't . If your going to use a spring or nitro gas type air gun make sure they are spring air gun approved . Now a days scope brands will say air gun rated but they may be talking about the pcp's and some even say pcp only . For example the company Aeon just recently add to their web sight that they no longer warranty the scope if used on a spring air gun or if you added a wheel which they did sale . so just be aware and ask and if possible get in writing.
In a open class Where power is unlimited is it better to have a ffp scope or a 2nd fp scope .? When the scope is zoomed in on a ffp will the cross hairs be to big and cover to much of the target ?
Last edited by rws45user on Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rws45user

Postby Scotchmo » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:03 pm

The 12x42 SWFA specs looked really good. I bought one a couple of years ago but was disappointed in the super thin reticle. I sent it back. I have an easier time with thick reticles that don't disappear on a black faceplate. Your eyes might be different

I like the UTG/Leapers 3-12x44 SWAT scopes for Hunter Division. Very reasonable cost. Short and long versions available. Thick or thin reticles available.

UTG/Leapers also makes a fixed 10x. The fixed 10x looks a little more clear which about makes up for it's slightly lower magnification. I prefer the 3-12x when given the choice.

The Centerpoint 4-16x is also good enough.

All the Leapers scopes have 9 mil-dots per quadrant so you might like them. They have a bunch of models up to 24x in the $100-$140 range. I started with one and still them.

I use a UTG/Leapers 6-24x in Open Division and it works OK there as well.
Scotchmo
Club Rep

Postby rws45user » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:01 pm

Thanks Scotchmo I did watch a video as someone did say it was hard to see the reticles because they were so thin . I better think on that . it might make it a deal breaker for sure . I know this is not the rule section but can you use a illuminated radical in hunter class if you can't see the reticles in darker shots . I like the 9 mil dot choice also , that sounds like a good one to look into .
rws45user

Postby Scotchmo » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:40 am

rws45user wrote:Thanks Scotchmo I did watch a video as someone did say it was hard to see the reticles because they were so thin . I better think on that . it might make it a deal breaker for sure . I know this is not the rule section but can you use a illuminated radical in hunter class if you can't see the reticles in darker shots . I like the 9 mil dot choice also , that sounds like a good one to look into .

You can use an illuminated reticle. Rarely needed but the SWFA 12x42 could have used one since it did not stand out enough.
Scotchmo
Club Rep

Postby rws45user » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:21 pm

How many fps in a .177 cal gun is needed to knock down a field using a 7.9 g pellet at the 55 yard distance ? What is the fpe needed to knock down a field target and do all the targets have the same fpe needed to knock them down ? If I'm wrong someone please correct me but from what I have read its 4 fpe needed to knock one down. So according to ChairGun using your standard 7.9 pellet you would need at least a 700 fps out of the barrel gun to be safe . And since there is a 20 fpe limit, your top fps out of the the barrel would be a 1060 fps gun using a 7.9 g pellet . I would assume all FT targets would not be allowed to go over the 4fpe limit .
Last edited by rws45user on Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
rws45user

Postby rws45user » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:16 pm

What are the top ten spring powered air rifles used in a hunter class ,and maybe some pros and cons to go along with the guns . I found this link that might answer some questions . http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2007/08/ ... springers/
rws45user

Return to General Discussion