BulzEyePro

Moderators: Chris Berry, libertyman777

Forum rules
1. No flaming, badgering, or foul language allowed. Please keep it civil and clean.
2. Threads should stay on topic. New discussions should be started on a separate thread.
3. Please do not post text in all CAPS, as that is considered rude and unnecessary.
4. No commercial sales or buy/trade/want ads of any kind.
5. Moderator decisions are final. If you are in doubt about a post, please contact a Moderator before posting.

BulzEyePro

Postby Skip in WV » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:22 pm

http://www.bulzeyepro.com/
Has anyone tried a BulzEyePro.
Would it be permitted in HFT?
Skip in WV

Re: BulzEyePro

Postby Leo Duran » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:43 pm

Skip in WV wrote:http://www.bulzeyepro.com/
Has anyone tried a BulzEyePro.
Would it be permitted in HFT?

Would that add-on lens boost your scope's magnification beyond 12x?

The AAFTA rules state:
1) Common Division Rules - Sights
A. Other than a scope mounted on the airgun, no separate range-finding device may be used.

2) Hunter Division Rules - Sights
A. Optical sights of any reticle style may be used, but are limited to a maximum of 12 power magnification.
Variable scopes of greater than 12X must be turned to the 12X or nearest lower factory marking on the scope.
Leo Duran
Leo Duran
BoG

Postby Chris Berry » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:59 am

Let us know Skip if you try them out. I have read about them and it supposed to help more with seeing the mirage than to magnify. No, you couldn't use in hunter class. They have very positive reviews from bench rest shooters.
Chris Berry
BoG

Postby Skip in WV » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:56 am

Ok. Then if your scope was set to 6X and the Bulzeye Pro was a 2x totaling 12 it would be legal. I may get one to play with. Wonder if it would make a difference ranging?
Skip in WV

Postby pistolero » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:02 pm

I have a lot of experience with the BulzEyePro "optical booster". Because the chosen mounts on my FT pistol will not accomodate scopes with larger than 33mm objectives, I was resigned to using no more than a 3-9X scope. I ordered a 30% " BulzEye Pro "optical booster" to theoretically come up to 11.7X, rather than the 40% model that would theoretically put me over the limit at (12.4X).

Naturally I wondered how MD's and/or AAFTA governors might react to "optical boosters". When I subsequently won the pistol FT event at an AAFTA Grand Prix, I lodged an equipment protest of my own scope booster with the MD, who told me I was crazy. Of course, that's common knowledge. Nevertheless I persisted, so he called a meeting with the 3 or 4 Governors in attendance. I explained to them what the booster is purported to be, that mine is a 30% model, but they also make a 40%, that cannot be visibly distinguished from the 30%, so there exists the possibility for cheating, and for me lying to them (that mine is a 30% model rather than 40%). They ruled to uphold my title, whereupon I went to the scoreboard and wrote "FORFEIT" next to my name and "1st" (place).

Of course that confirmed the depths my depravity, But the points I was trying to make seemed completely missed, those points being- 1) To increase awareness of "optical boosters" or other scope attachments, 2) To make folks aware of the cheating potential(s), 3) To point out that there's no visibly distinguishing between the different models, and 4) It may be "naive" to take the shooter's word that's using one and assuring them it's a 30% model.

Well, since then I've won several AAFTA Grand Prix Matches and titles with that same pistol and scope rig wearing the BulzEyePro "optical booster".

On needing a replacement rubber housing for one of my three, I called BulzEyePro to request a replacement housing and happened to get the business owner/inventor. When he asked about my experiences with the product, one thing led to another. He confessed that the thing doesn't actually increase magnification; rather it's an optical illusion. He offered, actually insisted, to replace all three of my boosters with the newest (improved) versions, even though all I needed was one rubber housing. He then solicited me for a testimonial to post on his website. Here's the link to my testimonial-

http://www.bulzeyepro.com/testimonials.php

Sorry it's been some time since I visited here, so this is the first time I saw you inquiry. Hope this sheds some light on the subject.
pistolero

Postby Bob Dye » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:18 am

Skip in WV wrote:Ok. Then if your scope was set to 6X and the Bulzeye Pro was a 2x totaling 12 it would be legal. I may get one to play with. Wonder if it would make a difference ranging?

Skip, how do you know this? Anyway to prove it to a MD at a sanctioned match? ie, is there a quick optical test a MD can perform at a match to determine whether the calculated magnificaiton is under any limits imposed by the rules? Do we take the shooter's word on the model used?

The Hunter class rifle rules are clear: "A. Optical sights of any reticle style may be used, but are limited to a maximum of 12 power magnification. Variable scopes of greater than 12X must be turned to the 12X or nearest lower FACTORY MARKING on the scope."

This means what it says... that any scope marked less than 12x (max) must be used only at factory markings, without any added enhancements. This should also apply to Hunter Pistol class where the maximum allowable magnification is a factory-marked 12x, period, not 12.01x. If your scope's highest marking is 9x, then you should be limited to shooting at 9x. Want to shoot at 12x? Buy any of the 100 or more scopes with a 12x marking on the magnification ring. Many are dirt cheap.

Match Directors have enough to do at these matches, rather than deal with un-measurable variables on equipment.

A rule is being proposed to AAFTA to outlaw any such devices, so I wouldn't waste your money. In the interim, these devices should be protested wherever found.
Bob Dye
Club Rep

Return to General Discussion