Gun Cases

Moderators: Chris Berry, libertyman777

Forum rules
1. No flaming, badgering, or foul language allowed. Please keep it civil and clean.
2. Threads should stay on topic. New discussions should be started on a separate thread.
3. Please do not post text in all CAPS, as that is considered rude and unnecessary.
4. No commercial sales or buy/trade/want ads of any kind.
5. Moderator decisions are final. If you are in doubt about a post, please contact a Moderator before posting.

Gun Cases

Postby dan_house » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:03 pm

Ive spent a fair amount of time and money trying to find gun cases for my modified Marauder, and now I need one for my new to me USFT#200.....

Both guns have a setups (both have big wheels on the scope, the MRod has a tilt meter hung off one side and the USFT has the canted grip) that preclude using commonly available cases.

What kind of cases are folks using to handle the extra "bulk" some of our rifles have? I have a couple cases that did fit the MRod in an earlier setups, so I'll test that to see if either fits with the scopes on......
USFT #200
The Lunatic Fringe of American Airgunning
Proud Sponsor of Team_Subsonic
Member of the Western Heretic League
dan_house

Re: Gun Cases

Postby Bob Dye » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:50 pm

I am also looking for a heavy duty, polymer case for airline travel in checked luggage. In particular, one that measures under the standard definition of "Oversize" luggage by just about every airline. Length + Width + Depth = 62 inches (158 cm), including handles and wheels.

It amazes me that none of the big names (like Pelican) have such an animal. It's like they don't think it necessary to read the regulations... you know, reading the regs in order to satisfy customers. :o

Pelican and others have a few models that measure 64-68", but an inch over might as well be a mile over. Opinion among many shooters is that the airlines make "exceptions" for gun cases. But I don't want to be the one assessed the $150 (each way) oversize luggage fee based on urban myth.

Suggestions welcome.
Bob Dye
Club Rep

Re: Gun Cases --> Just under 62"

Postby Leo Duran » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:02 pm

Plano® Gun Guard All Weather 36"
    External: 40"x5.5"x16"
    Internal: 37"x5"x13"
$69.99 + Free Shipping at Academy
http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/plano-gun-guard-all-weather-36-tactical-mil-takedown-gun-case
Leo Duran
Leo Duran
BoG

Postby Bob Dye » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:37 pm

I suppose I should have mentioned the interior measurements need to fit a fully assembled air rifle. Even my carbine-length TM1000 measures 39" (with the butt-pad removed).

It might fit diagonally, but then it will leave no room for a Field Target Pistol.
Bob Dye
Club Rep

Postby Leo Duran » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:37 pm

Bob Dye wrote:I suppose I should have mentioned the interior measurements need to fit a fully assembled air rifle. Even my carbine-length TM1000 measures 39" (with the butt-pad removed).

It might fit diagonally, but then it will leave no room for a Field Target Pistol.

Well, "it is what it is"... With 62'' to work with, those dimensions are it!

I carry my pistol case in a separate suitcase, along with a portable MTM gun carrier and a Cabela's 4-leg stool (so only the rifle travels in the gun case).
Leo Duran
Leo Duran
BoG

Postby FireMarshal » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:53 am

Dan,
What size is the rifle. I had a carbine (Which is short) with a large Nikko 10-50 scope and the canted pistol grip. I installed a set of Leupold QR mounts, so I could break it down when traveling. Both rifle and scope went in an SKB case. The inside clear demensions are 10 1/4" X 40 1/4". This is a heavy well made case that will stand up to most anything. It is lockable and rolls easily.
Pat
FireMarshal

Return to Equipment Talk (scopes & gadgets)